In V-STARS S Mode, a single camera is used to record a set of images of a targeted object from multiple points of view. The 3D coordinates of the targeted feature points are then determined in an automatic operation which initially measures the points in the images and then recreates the geometry of the network of images and points that existed at the time of the photography. S-mode is also termed off-line photogrammetry because the computation of 3D object point coordinates takes place only after all the images are recorded and loaded into the PC for processing by V-STARS. The highest possible accuracy and versatility attainable with V-STARS automated 3D coordinate measurement is produced via an S Mode system incorporating the new INCA4 camera. Regarding accuracy, V-STARS has been fully tested and validated in accordance with the VDI/VDE 2634 standard for optical 3D measurement systems.
Whether the application calls for hand-held operation, remote control, or real-time 3D measurement, V-STARS S has the speed, power, versatility and accuracy to handle the job with ease.
There are four S-Mode system configurations of V-STARS, the premier system incorporating the INCA4 camera, along with the V-STARS N Platinum, Gold and Silver systems. All are highly portable and comprise a single high-resolution digital camera, a notebook computer, V-STARS software for automatic data processing, and accessories. The 3D measurement accuracy of current V-STARS S systems ranges from 10 µm + 10 µm/m to a maximum of 4 µm + 4 µm/m, the latter accuracy corresponding to 0.020mm @ 4m, 0.001” @ 200” or 1:200,000.
V-STARS S displays the inherent advantages of photogrammetry. System operation is immune to vibration and movement; the camera can be operated hand-held from lifts, cranes and unstable platforms; data recording and processing are very fast; wireless transmission of the recorded images is supported; and the systems fit into two small cases that can travel as carry-on luggage.
Moreover, multiple cameras can be operated simultaneously in V-STARS S mode for the measurement of both dynamic and static objects.
- Most Capable Camera Ever – INCA4’’s state-of-the-art imaging sensor and lens together with GSI’s proprietary calibration techniques makes this the most accurate INCA came ever. It’s powerful embedded processor provides real-time image compression and processing and supports multiple interfaces for maximum speed and flexibility. INCA4 is an Intelligent Camera.
- Rugged, Reliable, Protected – INCA4’s metal frame, dual handles and dual lampheads surround and form a “protective frame” around the camera and lens. The lens is also protected by an integrated lens cap that never gets lost. The lens compartment is completely sealed and the electronic shutter generates no particles or debris and never wears out. INCA4 is an Industrial Camera.
- Fast – With its fast electronic shutter and integrated stroboscopic flash, INCA4 can measure high-speed events or fast-moving objects even in full sunlight. INCA4 is an Instantaneous Camera.
- Easy Aiming and Viewfinding – INCA4 has dual aiming line lasers that make aiming easy even in difficult situations. An optional, removable parallax viewfinder is also available.
- Easy Handling and Use – INCA4 is powerful but simple to use and operate. Each handle has combined laser/trigger switch so the camera can be held and operated with either or both hands. The camera’s only other button is the menu button. The LCD display and buzzer provide clear, simple feedback and instruction. Exposure is automatic and the focus is fixed so INCA4 is truly “point and shoot” camera.
- Wide-Angle Lens – INCA4’s wide field-of-view reduces setback distance for easier measuring in tight areas.
- Multiple Interfaces for Maximum Flexibility – Compressed images (typical compression > 10:1) are saved on removable USB disks for off-line measurements, or are transferred either wired (GigE), or wirelessly (802.11) for on-line measurements.
- Powerful and Portable – INCA4 can measure using targets, or by touching features with GSI’s small, hand-held probes, or by using one of our Pro-Spot target projectors to project high-contrast dots for high-density targetless measurement. All components fit in airplane carry-on or checked baggage size cases.
|Accuracy||4.5µm + 4.5 µm/M in S mode
9µm + 9µm/M in M-Mode
|Resolution||> 12 million pixels – 4096 Horizontally (H) x 3072 Vertically (V)|
|Field of View||72 degrees H x 58 degrees V|
|Image Size||typically <1MB with proprietary image compression|
|Speed||3 to Hz (depending on mode and computer)|
|Flash||< 40 us typical exposure time|
|Power||12-16 Volts, 15 watts, either by thin integrated power and
data cable or battery
|Cables||9 M Long (Standard), 36 meters maximum.
Cables can be daisy chained together
|Batteries||Small (450 grams – 1.5 hours)
Medium (900 grams – 3 hrs.)
Large (2Kg, 8 hours)
|Interfaces||GigaBit Ethernet (GigE)
USB thumb drive
Wireless – 802.11 ac (optional)
|Dimensions||127 x 76 x 180mm without battery & handle
200 x 110 x 180mm with both
|Weight||1.5 Kg, 3.3 lb. without battery and handle
2Kg, 4.4 lb. with both
INCA4 – Picture Perfect Measurements TM
The most versatile and capable camera ever for Industrial Photogrammetry
The INCA4 camera, designed and manufactured by Geodetic Systems Inc. (GSI), is our fourth generation INtelligent CAmera. It is the only camera designed specifically for the demanding requirements of high-accuracy, in-place 3D measurement via photogrammetry. It is ideally suited for single-camera, static measurements with our V-STARS/S systems and for multiple-camera, real-time dynamic measurements with our V-STARS/M systems.
The standard high-tech granite and aluminium table, originally developed for the optics industry, provides fantastic natural damping of high frequency vibration and the granite Y rail allows pre-loading of the bridge air bearings in both directions for superior accuracy.
INCA4 retains the ruggedness, reliability and ease-of-use that are hallmarks of our previous INCA cameras while providing improved features including higher resolution and accuracy, faster operation, an electronic shutter and a high-speed flash. The camera also has real-time image compression and built-in, ultra-fast wireless connectivity for unprecedented, astoundingly fast wireless operation.
INCA4’s accuracy, portability and ruggedness make it well-suited for a wide variety of applications in many industries, such as aerospace, antenna, automotive, heavy engineering, shipbuilding and more.
Along with the camera, the N system comprises a notebook computer, V-STARS software for automatic data processing, and accessories, all of which fits into two small cases that can travel as carry-on luggage.
V-STARS has been fully tested and validated in accordance with the VDI/VDE 2634 standard for optical 3D measurement systems.
The premier V-STARS S system offered by GSI incorporates the INCA4 camera. The V-STARS N series, which has three configurations for high-accuracy, high-flexibility and high-portability 3D coordinate measurement, offers an innovative, more affordable V-STAR S option.
V-STARS N has three lightweight, ruggedized digital SLR camera options, with each of the cameras being especially customized for photogrammetric applications:
- V-STARS N Platinum is the most accurate and versatile offering for high-precision industrial metrology
- V-STARS N Gold offers accuracy and comprehensive measurement functionality at a reduced cost
- V-STARS N Silver is a work-horse system for engineering and industrial measurement tasks with less demanding accuracy requirements
As can be seen in the table of system features below, V-STARS N produces routine 3D measurement accuracy on a 4m object in the range of 1:80,000 (Silver) through 1:115,000 (Gold) to 1:160,000 (Platinum), with higher precision being possible.
Example 3D measurement applications of V-STARS N include:
- Part and tool building and inspection
- Surface measurement
- Reverse Engineering
- Measurement in unstable environments subject to vibrations and movement
- Measurement in production environments where downtime is critical
- Heavy engineering such as measurement of bridge blocks and wind energy towers
- Antenna measurement
The N Series also exemplifies all of the inherent advantages of photogrammetry: it is non-contact, immune to vibration and movement, and supports fast on-site automatic data processing.
|Accuracy||10µm + 10µm/m||7µm + 7µm/m||5µm + 5µm/m||4.5µm + 4.5µm/m (in S-Mode)
9µm + 9µm/m (in M-Mode)
|Sensor||24MP||24MP||36MP||12MP [4096 (H), 3072 (V)]|
|FOV°||66(H) x 45(V)°||74(H) x 53(V)°||74(H) x 53(V)°||72(H) x 58(V)°|
|Built in Flash||yes||yes||yes||yes|
|Weight||1.5kg||1.5kg||1.5kg||1.5kg, 3.3 lb.(w/out battery & handle)
2kg, 4.4 lb. (/both)
|Dimension||150 x 150 x 125mm||150 x 150 x 125mm||150 x 150 x 125mm||125 x 76 x 180mm (w/out battery and handle)
200 x 110 x 188mm (w/ both)